Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Freitag, 3. Januar 2014

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

 My very first post on this blog, please go easy on me ;)
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her-East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

  • 496 pages
  • Release: 18. December 2012

I had quite a good beginning of the new year - in sense of books.This book really caught me, sucked me in and spit me out with a broken heart. I wonder how I haven't read it before, I just recently saw a lot about it on my Tumblr dash and just had to get my hands on it - I'm very glad I did!
At first, I was a little bit reminded of The Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong (which is honestly amazing, go check it out!). First, the name of the book and then some parts of the plot are quite similar. A girl, in a facility with other teenagers and they all have a special kind of power. Parents who think that their kids get treated for just some sickness and who think their kids are in good hands. An escape. But basically, that's where the similarity ends because they both go in very different directions, positively spoken.

The book's names of the whole series form a sentence. "The Darkest Minds", first book. Then "Never Fade", second book. "In Time", an e-book novel that isn't necessary to the story. And then the third book, but the title hasn't been released yet. I really like that, just imagine how amazing it'll look on your shelf when you have all books? I love the idea.

Alexandra Bracken's writing style is just amazing, unique even. It is thrilling and somehow poetic, the way she described the world and the characters. It got me hooked really quickly and it still hasn't let me go. There was even a scene that had me crying - and I usually don't cry. I'm a very unemotional person so that means something, right?

Looking back now, the characters are probably the best about the whole book. A book can survive with a bad story if it has amazing characters but it can't if it has a good plot and boring, flat characters. If the book has amazing characters AND a good plot, it can be a good book, a fantastic book. The Darkest Minds belongs to the third category, without a doubt!

There are many positive aspects about this book that are worth mentioning. For example, we know exactly how the situation is in other countries. I've heard a lot of complaining about this, that it was never mentioned how other countries are doing or if they're even affected by the catastrophe claiming the USA. In this book, it was clearly stated that the crisis only affected the USA and that other countries keep their borders up to keep the USA out.
Furthermore there are so many funny and remarkable quotes, most coming from Chubs (whom I have fallen in love with) and just an overall humorous atmosphere when it was just the kids being together. I really liked that.

This book amazed me, I really liked it and I would totally recommend to read it, if you haven't already! I cannot wait to read Never Fade soon!
If I were to rate it, I would give 5 out of 5 stars!


0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen